Yesterday my daughter, Marie, and I went to the movies.  The name of the movie isn’t important, (except to say it was  a Pixar film.)  The reason it was so great was because, for the first time since we adopted her nine years ago, I finally got to sit and relax and enjoy the movies!

Marie is profoundly deaf and communicates in American Sign Language.  The movies we tend to see are movies such as Shrek, Finding Nemo, Ice Age, Madagascar and so forth. The negative thing about these wonderful movies is that there is no way Marie can lip read what the characters are saying.  “I love you so much” can look like “Go jump in a dump.”  In order for her to enjoy the movies, we have long sat in the last row, underneath the single emergency light in the far left corner, and I have “signed” what the characters are saying.  Although my signing isn’t fluent, she laughs in all of the appropriate places, so I am happy.  (A happy child makes for a happy parent.)  The bad part of all of this is that I don’t get to really enjoy the movie.  I am so busy signing that I don’t get to see what is happening on screen. PLUS, (major disappointment…sob…sob….) I don’t ever get a break to eat any of the popcorn Marie happily munches away on.

Then came rear window captioning.  It sounds like a great idea. It is basically a screen of plexiglass that sits in the cup holder and it has to be positioned JUST RIGHT in order to reflect back the words that are coming off the projector at the far end of the auditorium.  The problem with Marie is that she also has ADHD.  She fiddles with it and fiddles with it until it is covered in popcorn butter and it is impossible to read the words. Plus, it must be damn annoying to the movie patrons sitting anywhere near us.

Well, yesterday the heavens opened up and dropped down a device only God could have made to relieve me of my signing duties…a small device that also sits in the cup holder but has closed captions.  Marie positioned it perfectly to fit her view of the screen the same as she watches closed captioning on television.  To her it was no miracle.  She’s used to closed captioning, and it probably didn’t mean all that much, because she gets to enjoy the movie either way.  But for me, it WAS a miracle. For the first time in NINE YEARS I finally got to enjoy that delicious (?) movie popcorn and I could watch the movie and actually enjoy it.  It was the BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!

I’d be remiss if I didn’t remember to mention my e-book available on I-Books, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kindle, etc.  The Apple Tree:  Raising 5 Kids with Disabilities and Remaining Sane.

Advertisements

Comments on: "I Saw the BEST MOVIE EVER with my Daughter…and It had Nothing to do with the Title of the Movie!!!" (77)

1. Isn’t it amazing what new technology can do to make living with disabilites easier!? Thanks for sharing the story!

2. Ahhh, delight in the little things we all take for granted. So happy for you!!

3. dianeroark said:

What progress for your wonderful family. God is Good! Blessings, Diane Roark

4. I love technology-I am so glad that you were able to enjoy the movie too! Oh what will they come up with next!

5. Ahhhh… That’s wonderful news!!! My best friend in High School was profoundly deaf and read lips. She had straight A’s except for one class where the teacher stood facing the board to talk. We got in trouble once in a while doing sign language in church though. 😀

6. What a gift for you and your girl!

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. 🙂

7. Yay! I’m so glad that you enjoyed the movie

8. That surely sounds like the ‘best movie ever’
    Marie is so lucky to have you 🙂

9. I am loving reading of your family’s achievements both big and small 🙂 So pleased that you had a great day out with your girl.

10. That is so utterly wonderful, fantastic. I LOVE the advances of technology. I’m glad you were finally able to enjoy a movie WITH that movie popcorn! I think you might never forgot that movie experience. Its a great one.

11. This is amazing, truly. I used to sign for a kids Sunday school class and with littles it can be exhausting! I am SO happy for you AND your daughter.

12. Aww, that’s so sweet to read! Your blog is inspiring. 🙂 God bless you & your special family!

13. kristinvegh said:

That is absolutely wonderful! I wish you many more miracle movies in the future!

14. blackwatertown said:

Good story – and good news about the new tech.

15. I have a hearing impaired son and although, he is an adult now, I totally relate to your post. We sign in our home as well, but some of us better than others. If it wasn’t for learning the alphabet in sign language I would be lost (although, it is a lot slower). 🙂 God bless, you and your entire family. What a blessing you all are to one another. 🙂 Thanks, for checking out my blog post, for I may have never stumble upon yours. God is good, always!

• It was so funny when we agreed to take Marie in as a foster child. My sign language skills consisted of knowing the alphabet, and I figured that would be fine because I could spell words for her. However, when she came, I realized that at 7, she did not know how to spell! When we have kids who are deaf, we use any means possible to communicate, right?

16. What a delightful story. The world needs more Moms like you that shows God’s love.
    Thanks for liking my blog. Stop by any time.
    Blessings.

17. Oh how wonderful a post you have written! The delight in hearing of one’s triumphs! I just read the rules of etiquette on Word Press and I am sure I am breaking all the rules because I really want to comment to you, rather than the others that are writing to you. I read something because I am interested in it. I don’t necessarily need to be “social” with others in a given topic. I wonder if others feel this way. I certainly don’t want my opinion to be negative. I love hearing about your story and I am thankful for you and your selflessness of hearing that you adopt children. So thrilled you and your daughter had a great time at the movie. What freedom for both of you!

18. What a great memory! So many firsts that some at us sideways.
    I can totally relate – like the first time I was able to take one of my babies out to the mall because a nurse thought to teach me how to check her feeding tube. There I sat with my friend in the food court, stethoscope in hand, popping a syringe full of air into the tube to check for proper placement before hooking her up to the portable gravity feed bottle. It was the first true bit of freedom I’d had in nine months!

Of course, once the friend pointed out the spectacle I made for everyone around us, I laughed til I cried at the looks on their faces. I didn’t care how it looked or who it bothered. I took my baby to the mall!!!

I am so glad you were able to enjoy the movie – and the popcorn! – with your daughter. Technology is creating opportunities for our kids that, even five years ago, we couldn’t have imagined. And I’ll bet there will be more mom/daughter movie nights in the future!

Thanks for sharing your stories – sometimes it feels a long and lonely trek to take alone. It’s always great to find another mom on a similar journey to mine!

• That is great that you got to the mall! Parents of children without disabilities may have a hard time understanding that such outings are precious to us, and not taken for granted.

19. I love this! It takes one extraordinary woman to provide such a fulfilling life to all your children. Such a touching story. I know my own mother could definitely relate. I will definitely check out your book!

20. 🙂 what a lovely post, it certainly opened my eyes to the challenges. What a dedicated and good mom you are to have sat and signed all along up until now! Thank goodness for that technology – i will be sharing that info with a friend whose darling daughter is deaf. I’m sure she’ll be thrilled!!!

21. That’s fabulous. Nine years is a very long time without enjoying a movie. I suggest Madagascar for the deaf monkey who is the only one who can read. Whoever thought that up is a genius. I hope you continue to have fun and thanks for stopping by the blog!

22. I have never heard of the device–not surprising as I have no connection to the deaf world. HOWEVER< I can relate to many other aspects of your post. Having both a RAD child and an Asperger Syndrome there are times I want to scream. Recent changes in my life have allowed for more freedom but at a cost. I am happy you were able to spend quality time with your daughter. Thank you for sharing.

• Oh…….I have such empathy for your. Those are probably the 2 of the most difficult diagnosis to parent because generally they are not much for showing affection. It is hard enough to parent, but without the rewards of hugs and kisses, I would think it would be so much extra hard because the rewards are more limited.God BLESS you!

23. My Mom was born deaf. I’m the middle child and have four brothers, yes, all boys. I have tried over the years to understand and relate to her challenges, and although at times I have felt successful, I’m usually surprised by something new. I’m now thirty four and still work to comprehend her world. Your post point to larger realities. Thank You

24. Hurray for technology! Lets just hope we can keep up with it. Thanks for stopping by my blog and liking what you read. Congratulations to you for your book and your big heart. Regards, Sandra

25. So nice… heart warming. Thanks. : )

26. Sounds like you have a tough row to hoe with five handicapped kids.

27. So happy for Marie and you both. I love it when technology turns into a real joy for someone, and it looks like it has happened for you and Marie. Wonderful post.

28. Nice essay reflecting the kinds of sacrifices mothers make for the children they love.

29. That makes me happy! What a big deal!

30. There really are some amazing devices out there. That’s so great that you could just share the expirence instead of having to work the event so to speak.

31. So glad what some of us take for granted was made easier and more enjoyable for your daughter and thus, you.

32. amandakline said:

Many theaters are starting this now, too– even better!! http://www.gizmag.com/sony-closed-caption-glasses/23376/

33. strawberryquicksand said:

I can’t work out how to subscribe to your blog. 😦

34. God bless you for your huge heart! I am sure your kiddos are proud to have you as a mom!

35. optimisticgladness said:

This is great! I’m so happy for you guys!

36. It’s the little things like getting to go for a little while and spending it at the movies with your daughter. She will remember that forever. She is lucky to have you as a mom.

37. So glad to have found your blog! I am definitely going to check out your book. I have an 11 year old non-verbal son with Autism. Thanks also for stopping by my blog 🙂 I have a second blog more geared towards raising our special needs son – It’s at http://www.calebsvoice.com if you are interested in checking it out sometime 🙂
    Glad you got to enjoy a movie with your daughter (and popcorn too!)

38. As the wife of a hearing impaired (profoundly deaf since around age 1) and a daughter who is hearing impaired, who both read lips, we don’t use sign language, I have to know what this miracle device is. I have to beg them to go to the movies with me. My daughter will go, she has more hearing than dad, but for over 26 years, I have to beg and be a special occasion to get hubs to go. They did not like the plexiglass device either.

39. lisalday111711 said:

Just posted on my blog a very moving tribute by a deaf mute girl on horseback to her father that had just passed away….thought you might enjoy it.

40. You’re some lady …

41. I am happy you got to enjoy the movie with your daughter!! Yay! You are an inspiration! God Bless and Merry Christmas to you and your wonderful family!!

42. Happy for you and for Marie. How did the court date turn out?

43. Such a heartwarming story.

44. God bless you for showing your love in this way. I know He has given you a full dose of “Mothering Skills”. Enjoyed reading your blog.

• Thank you.
      Yes, I am very fortunate my little brain contains skills that help me be a good mother…I don’t freak out over little things, I always look for the silver lining, and so forth.

45. What about Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd?

46. Delighted to hear of the improvement in you and your daughter’s quality of life.
    Good luck with the book!

47. I have a tear in my eye at your gain, and a giggle in my throat trying to imagine you signing and eating popcorn at the same time (now THAT would annoy those seated next to you) 🙂

• Yes, I know it would annoy others sitting around us,(the same as people talking during the movie.ha! ha!) I always sat in the wayyyyyyy back row to the far right or left where there would be an emergency light so she could see me. I’d never do it with others around!)

48. How wonderful for you and your daughter that you were able to enjoy the movie. I have a young son with autism and ADD. We’ve not braved the cinema yet! Thanks for sharing x

• I have a son with autism and ADHD…I would never take him to the movies.I’ve found that by limiting his exposure to things that overstimulate him has made our life soooooo much more peaceful. We even downplay all holidays because it would be too much for him.Every Christmas he gets out of bed, completely ignore the presents from “Santa” and goes down to the family room to watch tv…the same thing he does every day. In the past 15 years, he has NEVER opened a Christmas present. I’ve saved lots of money on him…I just bring the bag of Christmas gifts down to the basement to bring out again the following year!

49. Thank you for allowing the reader into your life and another story to give this world compassion.

50. This is a great post, and you’re doing amazing work. Big Group Hug to you and your family at this special time of year. 🙂

51. How loving that you have opened up your home and heart to help children in such a large way .