yellow-house-hi

Actual conversation overheard while I was driving children who are blind to activities during the summer program with which I have been working:

Her:   “What street do you live on?”

Him:  “Main Street”, (which is 5 miles long.)

Her:  “What color is your house?”

Him:  “Yellow”

Her:  “YELLOW?!?  I used to live on Main Street in a yellow house.”

Him:  “Wow!  Maybe it is the same one! Did it have two bedrooms upstairs and one bedroom downstairs right next to the bathroom?”

Her:  “YES!  That sounds just like the house I used to live in! Does it have a driveway on the side of the house with bushes by the front steps?”

Him:  “YES!  How about a dining room where it can fit a table that seats ten people?”

Her:  “Oh, my family used to get all together there on Thanksgiving.”

Him:  “MY family gets together there for Thanksgiving!  Did your bedroom have a closet door that got stuck?”

Her:  “YES!  That was my closet door!”

Him:  “And how about a creepy basement”?”

Her:  “YES! YES! I was always afraid to go into the basement.  How about…does it have a  cupboard in the kitchen where you could keep cans of food?”

Him:  “OH MY WORD!  YES!  That is too much of a coincidence!  I guess I really AM living in the same house you used to live in!”

Her:  That is sooooooo amazing!”

Him:  “Isn’t it!!!!!”

And while they were talking, I drove by at least another ten yellow houses on main street.  I wonder if they all have cupboards in the kitchen in which to keep canned foods???

Advertisements

Comments on: "Is There a Cupboard for Cans of Food?" (66)

1. Love this. 🙂

2. That is charmingly hilarious.

3. This post has just made m day. So sweet!

4. So cute 🙂

5. This made me smile. I love it! 🙂

6. Thats great. Happiness is the connections you have with people….even if theyre not real.

7. Thanks for sharing pure goodness. 🙂

8. From the mouths of babes…don’t you just love how simply beautiful life is from their point of view.

9. Love the descriptions.

10. What a precious story. Thank you for sharing.

11. Sometimes I see things while blogging that just make me wonder, really? Odd how sometimes we don’t take the time to consider things like this until someone mentions it. How funny!

On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 4:17 AM, Raising 5 Kids With Disabilities and

12. Aww, bless their little cotton socks!

13. Enthusiasm and excitement are wonderful things! So are the sometimes odd connections we find between us. And, sometimes innocence is bliss. From what we know of you from your blog, I’m sure you never let on…. Thanks for sharing this sweet story!

14. Nope no cupboards for cans with food, but I make them fit anyway. 🙂 Great story!

15. Such a priceless conversation, thank you for sharing.

16. Priceless conversation. Only in a child’s mind can things be so obviously absolute. I bet the cupboards had the same exact cans in them too. grin

Great post.

dp

• forevergoingforward said:

In my opinion, if we all had minds like children, our world would so much more enjoyable and pleasant.

17. Put a smile on my face! 😀

18. So cute! I totally get their thrill of connecting with someone who used to live in your house! It was SO nice of you not to burst their bubble! 🙂

19. What a lovely story. I bet you have a million of them.

20. The best post I’ve read in a long time – thanks so much!

21. Lovely story! Interesting that for them, as blind children, the first point of contact was the colour. Or do they have residual sight so they can discern yellow?

22. Thank you for sharing the humorous side to raising kids with disabilities. I just found your blog today and am looking forward to reading more!

23. Reblogged this on counselorssoapbox and commented:
    Something well worth reading

24. S. Mariam said:

H and me at thesimplesmiles.wordpress.com have nominated you for the Versatile blogger award! Please read this post! 🙂

• I appreciate the award nomination, but I have limited time and I have all I can do to do one post a week. I cannot do the award requirements justice, but thanks for the thought!

• S. Mariam said:

Don’t worry about. I guessed that you might be too busy when I nominated you, but decided to go for it anyway. It’s all good though!

25. Awwww….that’s so cute!

26. Brilliant, I love when you ovehear these priceless little convos!

27. That is really cute. I love kids conversations they are generally highly amusing. My kid were talking with each other and one said “look what’s sticking out of my mouthh….it’s my tongue.” I almost fell over with laughter.

28. Kids can be so funny sometimes 🙂

29. forevergoingforward said:

How adorable!

30. Oh that is just so cute.

31. One of my favorite quotes is by C.S. Lewis: “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: “What! You too? I thought I was the only one.” I think the connections that we make with each other are so amazing. With kids, even the littlest things can bring them together and it’s always fun to watch! 😀 Maybe adults should start appreciating the little connections more as well.

32. minifemmenomad said:

LOL How absolutely adorable! Children are so precious. :]

33. Reblogged this on Jaye's Brain and commented:
    I’ve been away for a few weeks and it is going to take a bit to catch up. In the meantime, reblogging this adorable post!

34. Wonderful. How simply does it transform your heart to the excitement of those children.

35. Delightful story! Thank you for liking my blog.

36. Cute stuff~ I love the way our special kids transform our lives, and those around us! Great blog.

37. Thanks so much for your like on my recent post on The Reluctant Retiree. Have been having a look around your blog, and such delightful stories. You sure have a lot on your plate, but it seems to energise you. BTW, on some of my earlier posts I made mention of Professor Boguslaw Marek and his tactile learning resources for vision impaired children. You’ll find more of him on the internet under http://www.hungryfingers.com in case of interest. GG

38. The beauty of children’s conversations

39. Reblogged this on Here Is What I Like and commented:
    Too Funny 🙂

40. Such a sweet post! My nephew Michael is physically disabled and my personal hero, so I love reading your perspectives 🙂 Thanks for sharing, and also for visiting Sisterhood Sticky Notes, my blog for / about women. It’s always great to get fresh perspectives so thanks for ‘popping in’ 🙂 Look forward to seeing more from you!